Sunday, August 25, 2013

My Mutual Fund of the Day: JEQAX


John Hancock Variable Insurance Trust Fundamental All Cap Core (JEQAX) is a no-load hybrid fund (stocks + bonds) with a negligible 12b-1 marketing fee (0.05%). It’s up 9.76% in 2013 through the close of Aug. 23. It’s profiled at:


I can find no performance chart for JEQAX. I guess the fund is too new or too specialized for Yahoo to bother with it.

I have little use for cash-value life insurance, but some people like it and some of them own Hancock’s. If I did, I’d probably buy this add-on fund as an inflation hedge. But I don’t, so I find my inflation hedges in the stock market and among ETFs and no-load mutual funds such as VIT paired with VTMGX.

Never forget this: All investments and savings and life insurance are gambles on the unknowable future and thus subject to loss as well as gain. Inflation is one reason. Since 1945, it has averaged 4.1% yearly. At that rate, money loses half its value (purchasing power) in about 17 years.

So, all investments and savings and insurance are gambles on the unknowable future and thus subject to loss as well as gain.

If you wish, visit my website for lots more research I share with do-it-yourself portfolio managers:


No comments:

Post a Comment