Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Best Broker for Mutual Funds


In the late 1960s, when I first started recommending no-load mutual funds and discount brokers to my financial clients, the very idea of fee-discounted  brokerage services was as exciting and new as the very idea of no-load mutual funds.
When I started managing portfolios for clients in 1984, I bought and sold securities for them and myself through Jack White, a San Diego discounter. Jack sold the firm and retired, and today it is known as TD Ameritrade. See:

A few years later I switched to Fidelity because of its rapidly expanding list of no-load mutual funds, including some single-focus funds that eventually provided a working model for ETFs (exchange-traded funds). Today, I especially like Fidelity’s excellent collection of screeners: See:

A couple of years after moving to Fidelity, I was invited onto Charles Schwab’s first Financial Planners Advisory Board. So, for a time my trades were handled by Schwab.
Now, I’m back with TD Ameritrade. I dropped Schwab when its Orlando branch manager started stealing clients from my firm. He answered to Chuck’s right-hand man at the time and not much later Chuck fired the high executive.  I don’t know or care what became of the branch manager.

Brokerage Review is a good resource for finding outstanding discount brokers. Its favorite for mutual-fund trades is Trade King. See:

OK, let’s take a fun break with You Tube:

Never forget this: All investments and savings are gambles on the unknowable future and thus subject to loss as well as gain.

Do visit my free website often for lots more investment research. I share it with my friends and other do-it-yourself portfolio managers. You, too, are welcome to share it with yours: 


No comments:

Post a Comment