Friday, May 24, 2013

The Internet and You


In my 29 years of managing OPM (other people’s money) I learned a lot about human nature, including a few motivational attitudes that I believe are harmful. Today I’ll mention just one example:
• I’m scared to death of the stock market. I keep my money in bank savings accounts, certificates of deposit, and annuity contracts.
That attitude suggests to me that you’re blind to the biggest thief of all: inflation. It has averaged 4.1% yearly since World War II, ranging from very high to very low.
Going forward, no one can know what the rate of inflation will be, so for planning purposes 4.1% is a defensible working number. As such, your various forms of savings are unlikely to add real money (purchasing power) until your net gains (after fees and commissions) exceed 4.1% annually.
To get that much just now, you pretty much need to put your life savings into well-selected stocks, no-load mutual funds, and/or ETFs (exchange-traded funds). And perhaps MLPs, preferred stocks, and laddered bonds when interest rates start trending upward.
If that’s what you’d do, vow to become a knowledgeable do-it-yourself  portfolio manager. You can do so free of cost with small bites like the posts in my blog. In time, you’ll begin to feel comfortable expanding your interest into the DIY resources I mention. Also:
Get real. Every bit of your life and mine is driven by guesses about what the future may hold. Every bit. No one can know the future, so we need to make educated guesses. Those can be driven nicely by the Internet and you.

No comments:

Post a Comment